Frequently Asked Questions
How are persons with disabilities notified that they are eligible for assistance if they need to access court programs or services?
Pursuant to the Florida Rules of Judicial Administration 2.207 , all documents which notice court proceedings must include the following language:
"If you are a person with a disability who needs any accommodation in order to participate in this proceeding, you are entitled, at no cost to you, to the provision of certain assistance. Please contact the ADA Coordinator in the Administrative Office of the Court, Palm Beach County Courthouse, 205 North Dixie Highway, Room 5.2500, West Palm Beach, Florida 33401; telephone number (561) 355-4380 within two (2) working days of your receipt of this [notice]; if you are hearing or voice impaired, call (800) 955-8771."
What services does the Court's ADA Coordinator provide?
The ADA's office provides:
- Loaner wheelchairs
- Accommodations for persons in wheelchairs
- Assistive listening devices
- Sign language interpreters
- Oral interpreters
- Materials in large print, braille, diskette, or audio tapes
- Reader services
- Real-time transcription services (under special conditions)
- Sound Amplifying Headsets
What services is the Court not required to provide under the ADA?
The following services are not provided by the Court:
- Transportation to and from the courthouse
- Legal counsel or advice
- Personal devices with the exception of wheelchairs
- Personal services such as medical or attendant care
- A modification of a service, policy or an auxiliary aid that would result in a fundamental alteration in the nature of the program or service, or would result in an undue burden.
- Document filing
How much notice must I give the ADA Coordinator to schedule accommodations for my visit to the courthouse?
Some accommodations, such as sign language interpreters and real-time reporting, require additional time to schedule. To ensure service availability, it is recommended that you contact the ADA Coordinator at least seven days prior to your court appearance or visit to the courthouse. Please be prepared to explain the nature of your disability and suggest an auxiliary aid or service that will enable you to effectively participate in the court program or service.
Is the Courthouse wheelchair/mobility assistance device accessible?
There is a designated disabled parking drop off area front of the courthouse on the south side of the main entrance. The facility was built to accommodate persons with disabilities including automatic entrance doors, wide walkways, halls, doorways and passages and all restroom facilities are ADA compliant.
Main Judicial Complex
205 N Dixie Highway
West Palm Beach, FL 33401